I never thought I would see the day that an alert has been issued due to such a sustained heat wave.
|Met Eireann – YELLOW alert for Irish heatwave.|
As the temperatures are set to rise to the thirties by Friday (12th), Met Eireann has issued a YELLOW alert. The concept behind the yellow alert is only to notify those who may be at risk due to location and/or activity of the temperature and for them to take preventative actions. Yellow alerts do not pose immediate threats to the general public (as ORANGE or RED would do) , so enjoy the beautiful weather while you can.
|West Cork has miles of beautiful beaches to enjoy.|
There has been a lot of talk recently about Vitamin D and the Irish deficiency of it. We have learned now that we need a healthy level of Vitamin D in order to absorb the Vitamin C we need for our health. While some unprotected sun is good, it is always advisable in this weather to slap on the sunscreen and to keep re-applying it after swimming or prolonged periods outdoors.
|Beaches provide the wonder of discovery.|
Stay safe around the water – the most important water safety tips are –
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you are on a blue flag beach, swim in-between the flags and adhere to the life guards instructions.
- If you are swimming at an unguarded beach, use extreme common sense. Plunge pools, (rivers) strong currents and seaweed (or river vegetation) must all be noted and if possible avoided.
- Flotation devices, if used as a relaxing floating bed, can quickly get you swept out of your depth by currents and wind. Be aware of your drift at all times. If you are swimming at a beach near the mouth of a river, be extra alert of the strong current at ebb tide and if you do get caught in it, don’t swim against it, but rather try and swim across it, to reach safely further up the beach.
- Beach walkers must take care about not getting cut off by the tide.
- Respect the water.
- Register your phone at 112 so that in a case of emergency, you are prepared and panic will not set in. Text the word ‘REGISTER’ to 112 and follow the instructions.
|Beaches are educational – what IS it?|
|Beaches provide something for everyone – from excavation (above) to construction (below)|
and is a free, healthy wonderful way to spend some quality family time while making most of the current heatwave.
Enjoy the beautiful beaches, great company and wonderful sunhine! Happy Heatwave Everyone!